Life without water is impossible. Large scale utility of water requires a constant water supply and regular pumping of water through the water pumps.
Water pumps thrust water from various resources like ponds, bores, etc. to fulfill the needs of irrigation, community purposes, and maintenance of livestock.
If the process of pumping water is made easy, life for everybody including farmers and households becomes smooth, comfortable, and hassle-free. What else are we looking for?
Probably, an opportunity to buy water pumps. So, why not look for the best solar water pumps?
Solar pumps are the best option today, and here in this article, we will find out why? Solar pumps are environment-friendly, easy to operate and one does not need to buy fuel, and therefore, they are more economical.
Different types of solar pumps are available and hence, the question of which one to buy comes into our mind.
Top 10 Solar Water Pumps Comparison Table
|Product Image||Product Name||Features|
Garden Sun Light Solar Garden Outdoor 3 WattGarden Water Pump
|• powerful solar pump||Price Please|
Solariver Solar Water Pump Kit
|• durable and efficient • solar panel framed with aluminum • BUILT TO LAST||Price Please|
Lewisia 5W Solar Fountain Pump
|• LARGER Solar Collector • Long Cable Length • Metal Bracket||Price Please|
|No products found.|
LATITOP 1.8W Freestanding Solar Fountain
|• Max water height • 4 types of sprinkler heads • Starts working in 3 seconds||No products found.|
Lewisia Solar Backup Battery Fountain Pump
|• Build-in BATTERY • 5 LED Light • Anti-idle Protection||Price Please|
Lewisia 10W Solar Water Pump
|• 10W LARGE Solar Collector • Unique Spray Water Patterns • Filter Bag Included||Price Please|
patuoxunâ Power Panel Kit Solar Water Pump
|• energy-saving • High efficiency • Stable performance||Price Please|
Sunnydaze Solar Water Pump
|• Powerful pump • Customizing features • Practical functions||Price Please|
Smart Solar 21372R01
|• Low Voltage Water Pump • 10 Ft. Cable • Operates In Direct Sunlight||Price Please|
ASC Solar Powered Garden Pond or Pool Water Pump Set
|• 1.3 Watt Solar Panel • 6 DC Brushless Pump||Price Please|
Best Solar Water Pumps Reviews 2022
Solar water pumps are beneficial, whether it is for farming or household purpose. In order to help you buy the best solar water pump, we have included a detailed guide on the top ten solar pumps.
01. Garden Sun Light Solar Powered Landscape Fountain Kit – (High Power and Efficiency)
amazon fields=”B006S42XOI” value=”button” button_text=”Check Price on Amazon”]
This water pump adds beauty to your garden at a one-time cost without worrying about the electricity bills. It has especially been designed for fountain, pond, or other outside uses. This pump comes with a unique five LED lights that light up automatically when the pump runs at night.
One of the other unique features of this submersible pump is, it contains a pre-set button inside. You can pre-set the time for running the pump and the fountain and light turn on at the recorded time every day. The pump has a lift of 1.2 meters.
This landscape fountain kit comes with a pump with an operational voltage of 6 to 12 volts, direct current, and a cable of 5 meters. The solar panel includes two fountain heads.
The time setter includes different time options of 1, 2, or 4 hours. It contains a lead-acid battery of 6V that helps the pump to run at night or in the day.
The pump can run for 3 to 8 hours at night depending on various factors like the amount of sun it has received, the time for which the battery has been charged, water flow, etc.
The accessories include three fountain heads. Connect-table tubes and solar panel support spike are also available.
The product has a water height of 1.2 meters and is highly recommended for a simple water structure or a pond. In places with 12 hours of sunlight in a day, it can work up to very late hours in the night.
- Longer life of the pump
- Is able to work in weak light
- LED lights are bright
- Big enough to absorb maximum sunlight
- Has adjustable water spray to set the level of water flow
- Battery backup does not switch over automatically
- Little short cord from the solar panel to the battery
Although this product is a little expensive as compared to other battery-backed pumps, the results is worth the money. This model offers durability, reliability, and lasts around two to three years.
It is highly recommended for small ponds and can be placed without a power outlet.
02. Solariver Solar Water Pump Kit (Durable Solar Pump For Day Use)
The best part about this pump is that it uses solar energy optimally by moving a large amount of water. It is also suitable for different purposes in different places.
In fact, it can be used anywhere to pump water, and therefore it is ideal for large fountains, ponds, streams, waterfalls, cultivation of plants in water, etc.
The solar panel is a powerful 20-watt panel. It has an aluminum frame around it. It comes with a post that can be placed 16 feet away from the pump, letting you place it where it can get maximum sunlight.
Thanks to the long cable provided with it. An extra 16 inches cable can also be bought to extend the distance of the panel and the pump.
The pump does not come with a battery, and therefore, it does not work at night.
The strongest feature is its pump. Its brushless feature renders it a long life. The pump is submersible which has a direct current pump with 12 to 24 Volt efficiency.
This model offers you a long-lasting life of about 2 to 3 years and comes with a detachable pre-filter to avoid garbage jamming the impeller and is safe for aquatic life. This feature is especially good for water life as it keeps the pond clean and aerated.
The flow rate is 360 GPH with a maximum height of feet, making it highly usable for waterfalls and fountains.
- Very easy to set up
- The cable is quite long to place the panel suitably for maximum sunlight
- Powerful pump that pumps around 400GPH with great height
- Has a long life
- Operations are smooth and are cost-effective
- Does not work after sunlight
The pump has a high flow and height so that it would be stable for birdbaths or small ponds and is recommended for places with intense sun.
It is also suitable for ponds with fish, toads, etc. They would be happy in their lovely aerated house.
03. Lewisia 5W Solar Fountain Pump (High Power And Easy To Install)
If you are enthusiastic about boosting the beauty of your garden by adding the experience of a clean pond and basin for your birds and koi, this is the pump for you.
The pump helps you to create a birdbath in your garden. It comes with a long cable to simplify your work. This happens because the basin can be placed in the shade even if the panel lies in the sun.
The solar panel has a good wattage power of 5 watts which assures excellent strength and circulation. The panel is made up of polycrystalline silicon and ABS material that are not only strong but safe and durable also.
The brushless pump of 4.5 -10 V has a water flow of 380L/h. It provides a maximum water height of two feet. The pump also has a right lift height of 4 feet. This means that it can lift water from the nozzle to the surface through a pipe. The package comes with a 10 feet long cable and 8 nozzles. What is nice about the pump is, setting it up is quite easy.
It is indeed a tool-free set up you are heading for, if you go with this pump. Another striking feature of the pump is, the filter bag is attached to the filter that prevents dirt from reaching the filter. The different fountain heads provide options to choose the pattern.
Nevertheless, certain precautions need to be taken to make it work better-
- The kit does not come with an on /off button.
- It needs to be ensured that the pump is submerged in water before the panel is uncovered.
- Clean the pump regularly if you want it to work longer.
- The solar panel is delicate and needs to be protected from the children.
- Filter bag provides longevity to the pump
- Easy to install
- Has a really long cable
- Is good for multiple uses of the birdbath, pond decoration, etc
- Works even in the daylight
- The kit does not come with a panel stand
- Suitable only for small ponds and fountains
The panel has superior power and long cord to move it around as the sun moves. The pump works great and it is easy to install and clean. It is superb to fit in a garden for water circulation.
04. LATITOP Solar Fountain (Quick And Easy To Use)No products found.
No products found.
We all like the solar fountain which is a unique and simple way to decorate our garden.
The LATITOP Solar Fountain is quick to work. It starts working within three seconds after being exposed to sunlight. The power panel has a consumption of 9 volts. The panel has a life span of about two to three years.
The DC pump with a 4.5 to 10 volts power is fitted with a brushless motor. This ensures its long life. The water height that it provides is about 27.6 inches with a water flow of 200 L /h. This makes it useful for, fish tanks, garden decorations, small ponds, birdbaths, and water circulation for oxygen.
The operational aspect of the pump is also quite simple. A simple three-step process will make the pump get going.
- Put the pump in the water and place the panel in the sunshine.
- Let the pump work for three seconds.
- Fix the sprayer heads.
Precautions to be taken to make the pump work better-
- Solar power should not be shaded.
- There should not be any debris under the filter.
- Always keep the solar panel dry and clean.
- It is important to change the water regularly to keep it clean.
- For a long lifespan, one should not make the pump work without water for long.
- The waterproof panel that can be kept out in bad weather
- Includes flow adjustment switch on the bottom of the pump
- The cord is long enough to put panel in good sunlight
- Very easy to set up
- The filter bag keeps debris away
- Does not have a power back up
- Gives a vertical lift of about 24″
It is a little wizard wonder for small water features and keeps the water circulating. The high points of this pump are that its panel is quite efficient and lets the pump for long hours.
The only thing that is to be kept in mind is that it is not suitable for large fountains or waterfalls. It is highly ideal for shifting to different water features in the garden with varying heads of water.
05. Lewisia Battery Backup Solar Fountain Pump with LED Lighting (High-End Features For A Beautiful Pond)
Listening to the sound of water trickling in your garden without a single thought of electricity bills and backup hassles! Nothing can be more soothing than this. If this thought excites you, then this is the pump you are looking for. Give a look at the features, you will soon know-how.
This solar panel of 5 watts is adjustable, providing you optimum charging power. Moreover, you can safely place your panel on a stake supplied along with the kit. You don’t need to worry about the durability as it is built of ABS, a safe and strong material.
The DC 4.5-12V pump with a brushless motor offers a less noisy experience a more extended existence.
It comes with extra features that are really eye-catching. The good thing is, it can work day and night as well as on cloudy days. The pump can work for 16 hours if the battery gets charge for about 8 hours.
Not only will your pump circulate water at night, but also beautify the spot with LED lights. This model features 5 LED lights to change the color of your fountain according to the mood!
God part of this model is, it delivers a 200 L/h water flow and water height of about 2.62 feet. Another add-on is the multiple fountain heads that allow you to change the look of your fountain!
Precautions to be taken to make the pump work better –
- Let the pump get charged for a couple of hours before the first use.
- The battery gets charged only when the on/off switch button is on the on mode.
- Never let the pump go dry.
- The pump should be completely submerged in water to get the required shoot in the water.
- LED lights are a striking feature
- The pump has good efficiency and durability
- The solar panel can be tilted to get enough light
- The panel charges quite well
- Strong built
- Cleaning the pump can be tough
- The battery needs to be charged for an extended time, which is irritating
All in all, it is an excellent kit with a strong pump, good battery, and added features. The only major drawback is the switch. But, it is quite an attractive package.
06. Lewisia 10W Solar Water Pump Kit with Mushroom and Blossom Spray Heads (High-Performance Solar Water Panel)
It comes with a durable panel of 10 watts to enjoy a stronger water height for longer hours.
Amazingly, this water pump is perfect for big birdbaths, pools, fish tanks, and garden decoration. Thanks to this model as it is definitely meant for the big bird baths which has a lift height of 26 feet and a water height of 6.5 feet.
The panel can be installed in two ways to suit the topography of your garden to get the optimum use of the sunlight. You can fix the panel on the ground or mount it on the wall with the help of extra screws provided.
The pump has a power of 6 to 24V. A 16.4 feet long cord is attached to the panel to let it get a long duration of sunlight.
The special and attractive feature of this pump is the fountain heads. These fountain heads are interchangeable with unique spray patterns of the mushroom and blossom spray. It does have a filter bag attached to it to prevent clogging.
Precautions to be taken to make the pump work better –
- Make sure you submerge the pump in water because it turns on immediately after being exposed to the sun.
- You need to know that the pump itself is not adjustable, but the spout can be adjusted.
- The pump requires regular cleaning. This will provide it with longer life.
- Cleanliness of the panel is vital for excellent efficiency.
- The pump has an amazing water height of about 3 feet
- Wonderful results for Hydroponics and Aquaculture
- Great water flow
- Is very good for fountain statues
- The spray heads are exceptional
- The panel is sensitive and stops even in little shade
- The brackets to the panel are not easily attachable
The pump is reliable with exceptional water flow. It completely works for the specific needs of users for fountain statues, and large birdbaths.
It is especially useful for those who want to enjoy the beautiful sight and soft sound of waterfalls. More suitable for places with a long and robust duration of sunlight!
07. Patuoxun Power Panel Kit Solar Water Pump Fountain Pool Garden Watering (User-Friendly, High-Power Pump)
Switching on to solar pumps rather than the electric ones is definitely a smarter choice. These pumps are designed to suit the needs of pumping, especially for gardens.
The best part of the Patuoxun pump is its simple design and its even simpler operational mode. The pump can be operated without any hassle and it comes with extremely user-friendly.
The user-friendly aspect of this pump is its construction. It is made of Polycrystalline silicon, making it quite durable. The cable length of the cord attached to the pump is about 320 cm with an existence span of about 2 to 3 years.
The pump offers a 150 L/h water flow with the water height of 45 cm. This makes the pump efficient. At the same time, it is easy to start. It can start within 3 seconds of the sunshine after a cloudy sky. The pump is attached to a 320 cms cable
You might feel below drawbacks in this model.
The panel needs to be placed in sunlight, and it stops working as soon as the sunlight is blocked. It comes without a stand, and so it has to be placed against something to make it stand.
The pump needs to be cleaned especially when it is in a birdbath to avoid debris from entering it.
Some tips to increase its efficiency-
- Cleaning of the panel may help make it more efficient
- Decrease the lift height and water height
- Do not let the pump run dry
- Clean the birdbath and the pump regularly
- Can run up to 9 hours on a sunny day
- The high-quality pump is designed to last
- Easy to start
- Gives a very constant performance
- The spray of the pump is quite impressive as compared to its size
- Only works during the day because of no battery back-up
- The panel needs to be adjusted to get the right angle for maximum power
It is most suitable for small water features like shallow birdbaths as decorative items. To attain optimum use, the panel needs to be placed in maximum sunlight.
The pump is quite efficient and can shoot up water to quite a height. Although, it seems complicated to raise the water level much due to its size.
08. Sunnydaze Solar Water Pump and Panel Bird Bath Fountain Kit (Convertible Solar Water Pump)
Small fountain pumps are meant for small water features so that they won’t come with a battery back-up. The key feature of these is to tap sun power. This turns it into energy enough to create the fountain effect in the water. What matters is the effect they bring to the water features, enhancing their beauty.
Keeping these things in mind, the pump seems to be a small wizard that works wonders. This pump which is 10.5 inches wide x 9.25 inches long, is a great addition to any outdoor landscape.
The pump comes with a 16 feet cable giving you enough chance to place anywhere, in or around your garden.
What really makes this one special is that it comes with adapters and you can convert an electric pump into a solar one. You can also create your own waterfall as it has a water flow of 132 GPH with a maximum head of 56″.
One of the other customizing features is the option of two spray heads. This can facilitate to choose the design you want.
Of course, the 5-watt panel needs to be in direct sunlight to function up to its optimum level. Hence, a ground spike is supplied so as to be able to mount the panel. The 16″ cable gives enough scope for the panel to be placed in the sun.
It is also one of the best solar water pumps that have been studied lately. It is suitable for birdbaths, and here are some small maintenance measures.
- You need to be sure that there is no debris under the pump to avoid clogging
- Panel should be cleaned regularly looking at its sensitivity to the sun
- Has a nice shoot of gushing water
- Pretty fountainhead that creates a beautiful spray
- Durable and robust pump
- Even the panel works very well
- Is very useful for small water features
- Suction cups fall off and do not work well
- Works only in direct sunlight
It comes in a small size, but the pump and the panel seem to work quite well. The beauty of the two spray heads is also quite promising. However, this model is quite suitable for small ponds, but cannot be used as an aerator.
09. Smart Solar 21372R01 Ceramic Solar Koi Fountain (Wireless With A Pretty Design)
Most of the fountain pumps are known for their simple design, but this one is an exception. Its most distinct feature is its design and color as its name suggests which will increase the beauty of your garden manifold. You can fit this Koi fountain in your patio, balcony, garden, or terrace too.
It can even be placed on a pedestal and can be used by pets to drink from it. This solar fountain can be placed above a birdbath as well.
The water flow of this pump is gorgeous as it flows out of the mouth of a koi into a basin. The pump is attached to 10 feet cable for the panel. The rest of it is completely wireless, and this is the best part of it. The water flow is around 1.5 gallons. The pump also has a filter so that clogging can be prevented and it increases the life span of the pump.
The panel is small and needs to face the sun to pump water. Its direction needs to be changed to get the right angle. However, it operates only in direct sunlight which you might a disadvantage.
Some tips to increase its efficiency-
- If you want to avoid calcium deposits in the fountain, you can add vinegar to it at times
- The calcium deposits can be avoided by applying oil to the fountain.
- If the calcium deposits stay, then the fountain can be spray painted to give it a beautiful look again.
- If you stay in a place with extreme winter, then the fall in temperatures may harm it.
- The full unit should be removed and stored during extreme winters.
- Size and design are its strong points
- The pump can recycle the same water
- Super easy to assemble
- Motor itself has suction buttons to clean the pump
- Good for pets to use too
- The weak panel that needs constant sun to work
- The fountain does require some maintenance
The key feature is the beautiful fountain and it works pretty well if installed carefully. It is a perfect gift for others to give. This is why it comes with the gift wrap availability.
10. ASC 1.3-watt Solar Fountain Pond Water Pump with Battery Timer and LED Light (Excellent Features, Including Auto Timer)
ASC pump is eye-catching with some additional features that make it enjoyable. This model again works on sunlight but gives a subtle effect to your garden. You can install it easily and set up quickly.
Great thing is, it comes with a good safety feature for kids and environment-friendly. One can sit back and relax by listening to the sound of the water fountain.
This DC solar pump is also brushless, and therefore quite efficient. It has a lift height of 20 inches with a water flow capacity of 180 L/h. The pump is attached with a cable length of 10 feet. The cable length is enough to distance the panel from the pump.
The key feature of this pump is that it has LED lights with a cable length of ten feet. This added feature makes the fountain look really nice. If you don’t want the LED, it can remove it too.
The solar panel has an aluminum frame and plastic spike sets. These can help mount the panels wherever it is suitable with ease.
The facility of the preset timer is also valuable that lets you have the joy of a well-lit fountain in the evenings by setting the timer that works automatically for three hours once set.
The battery charges quite well. Once it is fully charged, it runs for 2 to 3 hours. Moreover, after the back-up power has been completely used, it shifts to the solar mode automatically.
The only cause of worry is that it comes with a warning that it may expose us to chemicals, including mineral oil, which may have serious ill effects on health.
- Very easy to set up
- Compact size for excellent handling
- Comes with additional parts
- Does not make much noise while running
- Highly recommended for small water features
- Doesn’t work well for large ponds
- Has less durability
This water pump has a good battery backup and the additional Led light is also an attraction. It functions quite well if the panel is placed in the right direction.
The Following Buying Guide Will Help You Choose The Best Solar Water Pumps
Primarily, four types of solar pumps are available based on the source of water and technology used:
1. Surface Pumps –
These pumps can be used if the groundwater level is not more than ten meters of reach. Hence, it is advisable to use these pumps when the water has to be drawn to long distances and the water source is shallow.
It can be placed beside lakes, ponds, water tanks, etc. They might not draw water but can supply water to long distances.
2. Submersible Pumps –
These pumps can draw water from bore and areas with water table below 10 meters. They are used to draw water from bores and wells.
These are a little expensive than the surface pumps but are more appropriate for drawing water from sources with a lower water table.
3. DC Pumps –
Direct current pumps are available which directly work on a battery or without battery. They are easy to operate and are more energy-efficient. They can be used for small to medium functions, such as small irrigation projects, etc. These are more energy-efficient when the power supply is low.
4. AC Pumps-
The alternating current pumps require an inverter. This means that direct current gets converted into alternating current. They work slower than DC pumps but can be more efficient.
The Following Factors Need To Be Kept In Mind Before Buying A Solar Water pump
1. Pump Efficiency: The efficiency of a pump means its ability to change solar energy into electric energy. The efficiency of a pump is measured in LMP and needs to be checked and may vary from one machine to another.
2. Flow Rate: It actually means the volume of water lifted or supplied by the pump in a given time unit.
3. Location: Your location of where you want the pump to be installed should also be kept in mind.
4. Water Requirement: The amount of water required in a day should also be considered.
5. Pump Controllers: Some solar pumps may require special pump controllers that work automatically in low light. If a battery is being provided, the controller may not be needed.
6. Drop Pipe: The pipe that connects the pump to the surface (top of a well, etc.) is called a drop pipe. It is advisable to use a narrow, polythene, flexible pipe to avoid pump problems. A large pipe will lift water slowly and cause sand deposits.
If you want your fountain to work for as long as possible, then you should opt for night pumps. These pumps come with battery backup at a higher cost. This feature will help store energy for later use. (At night or prolonged cloudy days)
How To Increase The Efficiency Of Your Solar Pump
- Cleaning the pump regularly will ensure better water flow.
- Ensuring that the water quality is good helps to increase the efficiency of the pump.
- Do not mount fountain heads with large heights.
- The solar panels should be placed in the direction of the sun to obtain maximum sunlight.
- Clean solar panels regularly to make sure that they take in maximum sunlight.
Pros and Cons of Solar Water Pumps
Since we intend to help you choose the best solar water pumps for your pond, we need to look into some gains and some drawbacks of these pumps.
- The solar pond pumps are not only economical; they are easy to install and take less space. They are less noisy too and can be installed without worrying about the wiring.
- These pumps do not work for long hours despite of battery backup and are meant for small features.
FAQ’s Related To Solar Water Pumps
After going through the above information, you must be well aware of which solar pump to buy for your needs. Now, we will answer some of the widespread solar pump concerns that people have. The following questions give a complete understanding of solar water pumps.
1. What Are Solar Pumps?
The pumping system almost remains the same as our old pumping systems, but these are powered by solar panels instead of electricity. The entire system consists of solar panels, inverter batteries, and a motor pump.
When the solar panel it hit with light, it produces a direct current. This current converts itself into the power that sets the pump in motion.
In some cases, an inverter is installed to get AC. Hence, the DC pump does not require an inverter.
2. Is There Any possibility Of Relocating A Pump After It Has Been Set Up At A Place?
Of course, relocation of water pumps is possible. In the case of small pumps, it is quite easy, but the relocation of larger pumps and panels is not smooth. It is a complicated and expensive job. One has to shift panels on portable platforms.
3. Is There Any Particular Decisive Factor In Selecting The Location Of The Pump?
The location of panels has been discussed clearly. They should be installed at places with maximum sunlight. Also, they should be installed at places where there is very less dust.
The stands of the panels should be placed at even surfaces. The pumps should not be placed very far from the panels. They should be set up at places with high water tables so that the lift height for the pump is less.
4. Can Extreme Weather Conditions Affect Solar Panels? What Safety Measures Can Be Taken During Such Conditions?
Most panels come with safety measures. But in extreme weather conditions like storms or cyclones, the stands of these panels may get damaged. In order to avoid this damage, the array can be placed horizontally.
A lightning strike can be lessened by installing an external lightning protection system. This is because lightning can cause major damage to solar panels.
5. What Maintenance Is Required In The Case Of Solar Pumps?
Solar pumps require minimal maintenance once installed. The cleaning of solar panels regularly is the key to increasing the durability of these pumps.
6. Can The Flow Rate Be Improved By Adding More Solar Panels To The Pump?
The flow rate can be increased by adding the extra panels to the controller, but we need to take care that the voltage limit of the pumps is not surpassed.
The maximum flow rate of a pump cannot be increased, but the extra panel will help it run efficiently during cloudy days or early morning or evening hours.
7. What Is The Difference Between An Off-Grid And On-Grid Solar Rooftop Kit?
An off-grid rooftop kit recharges the battery and the power is later used mainly during the night. In the on-grid system, the electricity produced is sent to the main grid and the power is taken from the grid during the night time for use.
It can be concluded that solar power systems can be used in gardens ranging from 10 watts up to 100 kilowatts. The best solar water pumps for gardens are available with fountain features. They have the security of running at night, also with the help of battery backup and LED lights.
Solar water pumps are economical, eco-friendly, and spare us the hassle of wiring and looking for power outlets. They are especially useful where finding power outlets is difficult.
Choosing a solar water pump is definitely a smart move, and the above guide will help you pick an option for yourself.