Do you want to encourage the treasure hunting hobby in your child?
If so, a metal detector can be an ideal gift for your seeker infant. Undoubtedly, giving your kid a metal detector is a great way to nurture his curiosity to find the hidden treasure.
Nevertheless, choosing the best metal detector for kids from a range of available products at an online store can be overwhelming. This article has every bit of information to help you find the right model with advanced features.
A metal detector is a handy device that helps you to find hidden metal objects. It has a sensor to track metallic objects around and even those buried deep into the ground. Whether it is lost coins in the garden, jewelry or minerals buried underground, these detectors can trace everything.
In general, there are two types of metal detectors- real and toys. Toys are not worthy at all since your kid will be able to detect only trash with such devices. However, a real metal detector is a wonderful equipment to possess. This article review is about the real metal detectors for kids of various age groups.
We have reviewed over 100s of detectors devices to find the best detectors for kids. To be sure, we have used some of them ourselves and researched several real user reviews to come up with a list of top choices.
If you are looking to find the best detectors for children, the reviews herein will definitely help you to decide which one will be the perfect metal detector for your child.
Comparison Table of Best Kids Metal Detectors in 2020
|Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker||• Rugged metal detection • Ground balance for mineral detection • 2 audio tone modes|
|Bounty Hunter Junior||• 3 Target identification categories • Graphic indicator for battery • Discrimination control|
|Fisher F22 Weatherproof||• Adjustable iron tone • Weatherproof metal detector • 9 target categories|
|Garrett Ace 200 Metal Detector||• Fully waterproof coil • Digital target ID display • 3 search modes|
|Canway Metal Detector||• Accurate target detection • Adjustable disc range settings • 7 distinguishable target categories|
|Bounty Hunter QSI||• 3 audio feedback tones • Progressive discrimination control • Fully automated ground balance|
|Minelab X-TERRA 305||• 3 tone IDs • 6 coil changing options • Precise ground balance|
|SUNPOW Metal Detector||• DISC mode & unique audio • High depth function • Waterproof Coil|
|NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Junior||• Waterproof dual coil • Lightweight and portable • Powerful searching feature|
|Metal Detector for Kids||• Waterproof coil • Perfect design for kids • Clear detection buzzer & LCD|
- Reviews of Best Metal Detector for Kids 2020
- 02. Bounty Hunter Junior T.I.D. Metal Detector (Below 8 Years Old)
- What to Consider When Buying the Best Metal Detector for Kids?
Reviews of Best Metal Detector for Kids 2020
Herein are the reviews of the best kids metal detectors that we have selected after in-depth research and analysis of several metal detectors in the market.
01. Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector (8-14 years old)
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is a relatively expensive model. With an array of advanced features, it can detect gold, silver, aluminum, steel, brass, and many other metals at a depth of up to 2ft. Unlike the digital display on the Junior T.I.D. model, it features an analog control panel.
Features and Benefits
- This rugged metal detector features 3 operation modes- motion all-metal mode, 2-tone audio mode, and discrimination mode. Customize your search for specific metals and ignore the unnecessary target signals.
- It has a wider 8″ water-resistant search coil. Allows detecting small targets up to a depth of 6″ and larger objects up to 2ft.
- The detector operates on a preset automatic ground balance. Ignore false and negative signals for unwanted mineral deposits.
- This model supports sensitivity control. You can maximize the depth to which you want to search for desired objects.
Overall, this is an advanced detector device for children in the age group of 8-14 years. It is a high-performing device in a medium price range.
Click here to find out the trending offers on Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
02. Bounty Hunter Junior T.I.D. Metal Detector (Below 8 Years Old)
Bounty Hunter Junior T.I.D. is one of the best detectors for young children in the market for the kids in this age group. The device boasts an amusing control panel featuring emoji target ID notifications. It has a medium sensor to detect small coins at 5″ deep and bigger items at a greater depth.
It detects 3 target identification categories with different audio tones:
- Iron target (ferrous materials such as screws and bolts) represented by a sad face and low audio tone
- Non-ferrous low conductor target (trash, non-precious metal jewelry) notified by a question mark icon and medium tone
- Non-ferrous high conductor targets (precious metals- gold, silver, copper) featuring a smiley and loud tone
Features and Benefits
- It supports 3 target ID categories coupled with corresponding audio tones. This feature helps your child to differentiate between various types of detected items.
- There is a visual depth indicator on the control panel. It shows the accurate depth measurement of the buried objects.
- It is a fully programmable discrimination control button. You can eliminate unwanted objects from target identification to avoid distractions.
- This light metal detector with ergonomic design weighs just 1.5 pounds. The device is easy for children to use for long hours.
- It has a 6-inch waterproof search coil. This detector is compatible for use on wet surfaces.
Altogether, this budget-friendly detector is great for beginners less than 8 years old. It is highly functional equipment with a lovely UI to keep your child engaged for long hours.
Do you want to know more about Bounty Hunter Junior T.I.D.?
Check out the customer reviews and the best offers at Amazon now.
03. Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector with Submersible Search Coil
This is a premium metal detector for kids and a bit pricy compared to the other models. Even though, it is the choicest detector for the robust weatherproofing, 9″ powerful search coil, 4 operation modes including custom mode, adjustable iron audio tone to name only a few.
Features and Benefits
- This detector has a digital control panel with a professional look. The digital display is easy to apprehend for the kids over analog readings.
- It is a fully weather-resistant metal detector. You do not have to worry when using it near the pond or during rainfall.
- It has 4 audio tones with a customizable Fe tone. You can adjust the audio tone to lower pitch for iron targets.
- 4 target modes for jewelry, artifacts, coins, including a custom mode. Change search modes to specify target notification for preferred items only.
- This detector has notch, discrimination, sensitivity control, and pinpoint features. The device allows these to perform searches faster and provide instant responses based on the settings.
All in all, Fisher F22 is a dynamic but costly detector for kids above the age of 14 years old. With an array of settings, it is interesting for kids, having some experience with entry-level detectors.
Want to compare the best price offers on Fisher F22? Click here to find it.
This is a medium budget detector but has some important features offering 3 search modes, depth measurement, 4 sensitivity controls, and pulse-width modulation. It has a stylish, appealing design; your children will admire it.
Features and Benefits
- It comprises of 6.5″x9″ fully waterproof concentric search coil. The powerful wider coil is excellent for locating small objects at up to 6″ deep even in wetlands.
- There are three target search modes- Zero disc, Jewelry, and coins. It eases your search for specific metals.
- Alongside the arm support, there is a soft grip foam handle. The equipment is easy to carry and search targets for long hours during holidays.
- It offers extended battery life with a low charge indicator. When fully charged, you can use this detector for more than 30 hours.
This is an option for beginners above 10 years old to get started hunting. It is an affordable device with precise functionality to help your child locate targets accurately.
Are you looking for the best discount offers on this detector?
For more information, customer reviews, and prices of Garrett Ace 200, visit Amazon now.
5. Canway Metal Detector
If you are looking for an inexpensive detector for your kid to get started with treasure hunting hobby, Canway has a lot to offer. Powerful American chip, adjustable stem, and intuitive control panel are some of the brilliant features of this device.
Features and Benefits
- Comfortable armrest with strap and foam grip handle. The armrest with strap keeps comfortable as you keep moving through an uneven landscape.
- Extended adjustable stem length. You can adjust the stem length depending on your height to keep walking straight.
- Large backlit LCD control box. Easy to view and interpret the readings.
- Detects objects at a depth of up to 7.1 inches. It is better than most standard detectors that can find buried metals up to 6 inches deep.
- It has an all-metal mode with different audio tones. This mode will help you to find all types of metals- gold, silver, iron, aluminum, and bronze with specific sounds for each to understand the target.
To sum up, Canway detector can be the first metal detecting device for your child. It is perfect for kids within the age group of 10-12 years. It boasts cutting edge technology, comfortable armrest, and distinctive audio settings to know the type of metal underneath the ground. Moreover, the package comes with a weather-resistant carry bag and shovel that you can use to dig the target point.
Do you want to compare this product with other detectors?
Explore prices, offers, and more on the Canway Metal Detector at Amazon.
6. Bounty Hunter QSI Quick Silver Metal Detector
If you are looking for an enhanced experience with a real metal detector within a budget, QuickSilver is undoubtedly a considerable choice. With 4 segment target ID systems and automatic ground, balance facilitates the young detectorists to find only valuable, worthy metals.
Features and Benefits
- It is equipped with 3 feedback tones with the squelch circuit function. You can get the desired audio output for each target to prevent sound signals for trash and unwanted objects.
- 8″ water-resistant interchangeable search coil with adjustable length stem. This powerful search coil can find small coins at a depth of up to 8 inches and larger metal targets up to 3ft deep.
- This detector offers one-touch sensitivity control and a discrimination control button. The simple interface allows the kids to enable to disable these functions without the need to adjust the settings.
- The automatic ground balance is the default for all searches. It eliminates receiving fake alerts for natural minerals, garbage, and other unwanted items.
To summarize, Bounty Hunter Quick Silver is a feature-packed detector like many models for seniors. It is a low-cost detector with easy to use functions just needed for a new little treasure hunter.
Looking to buy Bounty Hunter QSI Quick Silver? Click here to grab the most exciting offers today.
7. Minelab X-TERRA 305 Metal Detector
For those who are looking for a real kid’s detector that functions as a device for adults, X-TERRA 305 is a suitable option. There are several adjustable settings, programs, and features in this ultra-lightweight treasure hunter equipment. The control panel is easy to read and understand so the device is suitable for people of all ages and experiences.
Features and Benefits
- This detector supports manual ground balance adjustment. You can set the ground balance to any count (1-20) for mineral count readability.
- There are 3-tone audio outputs besides the multi-tone mode. Choose to set the audio tones as preferred for each target identification.
- Noise cancellation option available to mute sound alerts. When using the detector at beaches or crowded places, you may set the audio cancellation mode to avoid disturbances.
- 6 accessory waterproof coils available with this device. You can change the coils depending on the type and depth of the target.
- It has a simple LCD control unit. Easy to understand the target ID, get depth measurement readings and other notifications.
In short, if you want to buy a metal detector for the family or the one that your child can use for years as he/she grows up into a mature detector, Minelab X-TERRA 305 is a premium choice.
Click here to get the discount price of Minelab X-TERRA 305.
08. SUNPOW Metal Detector
09. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Junior Metal Detector
10. Metal Detector for Kids
What to Consider When Buying the Best Metal Detector for Kids?
While comparing different detectors there can be a bit of confusion, especially for the novice buyers. An ideal metal detector for children must possess the following basic qualities:
- Lightweight ergonomic design for comfort and convenience
- User-friendly and easy to understand
- Discrimination control for eliminating unwanted target IDs
Certainly, pricing is one of the decisive factors when buying metal detectors for most parents. Unfortunately, the detectors are mostly toys that may help your child to find a few coins at a lesser depth. They do not last long or serve the purpose of detecting different metals.
A real detector device is mainly designed to locate various types of metals including gold, silver, copper, aluminum, etc. Look for devices having preset discrimination control. Obviously, if your child ends up finding micro mineral particles, garbage, it can be discouraging for taking up treasure seeking as a hobby.
If you can go a bit higher with your budget, it is even better to buy a fully waterproof detector. Nevertheless, the water-resistant search coil in some of the best detectors for children offers protection when it is in contact with the damp surfaces.
Finally, checking the user ratings and reviews is a very important part of your research for the best metal detector. You may find a product online with great features with a reasonable price tag. To judge the true value of the item, it is equally essential to get the opinion of customers who have already used it for quite some time.
Despite reading about the things to consider and top recommendations, there may be several questions in your mind. I have herein answered the questions people frequently ask me during consultation on the metal detector for kids.
What kind of target can I find with these metal detectors?
All real detectors can identify metallic objects. Most detectors will produce a notification when it detects any type of metal.
However, the depth at which it can locate the items will depend on the size of the coil, chipset, pricing, and other factors.
Can I use a detector at the Beaches?
Yes, it is absolutely fine to use detectors on the dry sand. But the device will produce false signals when it contacts saltwater. It is due to the high mineral content in seawater.
It is better to use headphones for clear audibility at the beaches. Without headphones, the audio may be difficult to hear due to the sound of the waves and strong wind.
Is it safe to use these detectors in the water?
This is an obvious question for every buyer. The search coil and the stem is waterproof. Hence, these parts are completely safe for using in water.
However, you must be careful to keep the control box safe from water contact if it is not fully weather resistant. If you want to dive into greater depth water bodies, look for submersible detectors.
Where to use a metal detector with kids?
For a beginner kid, it is great to get started right in your home landscape. You may burry some coins, soft drinks cans, rusted nails, and other metallic objects to see if your child can differentiate between the targets.
You can also use a detector at a park, playgrounds and other public places where people tend to drop coins, toys, jewelry, etc.
Can these metal detectors find gold?
Most of the metal detectors are tailored to find gold targets. However, there can be interference of minerals when in close contact with gold items. This can be a problem with VLF metal detectors.
If you are looking for something mainly designed for gold hunting, it is good to search for the best gold metal detectors.
Searching for buried minerals and metals is a great leisure pursuit for growing children. It is an excellent option to raise their curiosity for the hidden treasures and metallic objects. But, choosing the best kids metal detectors can be a tough chore when there are so many models and brands available in the market.
Not to mention, there are some high-performing detectors that you can buy for your children. The products recommended in this review are high-value real detectors with advanced features and proper functionality. Moreover, they are not too costly so that you can buy any of them at a reasonable price.
To sum up, these professional-standard detectors are excellent choices, highly rated on user reviews, and a perfect option for beginners.
Do you have any useful advice for the buyers looking for kid’s metal detectors? If so, please feel free to share your views in the comments.